.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

McLaughlin's Valley

Love American History? Come On In! Dedicated to preserving the history of the McLaughlin family, wherever they may be! Historical documents, photos, family histories, and more. To add your family history to the site, email here. Please SEARCH this site from the search bar above left or BROWSE topics listed in sidebar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Sorting It All Out

The first in a series of "back-and-forths" where other researchers and I try to get a handle on the elusive McLaughlins. Hope you find something here to help in your search!

--Joan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
25 Nov 2005, Sheila writes:

"My husband is a descendent of Daniel McGlaughlin and Rebeccah "Ketty" Cleek of Bath County. I've been looking at all the records for McGlaughlin in the Bath/Pocahontas/Rockbridge area and was wondering why you didn't mention the following patents for John McGlaughlin. These are all available online at: http://ajax.lva.lib.va.us/F/?func=file&file_name=find-b-clas30&local_base=CLAS30

McGlaughlin, John, Jr. 1 August 1809. Bath County: 50 acres adjoining said McGlaughlin’s land on the rocky run. (same date as Daniel McGlaughlin took out a patent)
McGlaughlin, John, Jr. September 1816. Bath county: 100 acres on the waters of Jacksons River joining to the land of Jacob Castle.

The fact that these patents are made to John McGlaughlin, Jr. I'm assuming there was a John McGlaughlin Sr., [Family Group Record of John McLaughlin, Sr., here] even though I can't find any other records for him. The 1809 and 1816 patents can't be for John's son as he was too young.

I've also got an issue regarding John's son Daniel being the husband of Mary Carpenter, married 1823.

Daniel McGlaughlin Sr. didn't leave a will but his "estate" was delinquent in Bath County in 1838, but not in 1837, so he must have died 1837-1838. This man had at least one son the same age as Daniel McGlaughlin, son of John McGlaughlin. In the 1810 census Daniel Sr. has a son age (10-15) and in the 1820 census (15-under 26).In the 1830 census both Daniel McGlaughlin Jr. and Daniel McGlaughlin Sr. are enumerated, and junior is age 30-40 with a son age 5-10, etc, so he was already married. This is the same Daniel McGlaughlin found in the 1840 census in Pocahontas Co. in 1840 with a son age 15-20, etc.

The 1830 census has John McGlaughlin [Family Group Record, here] with 3 sons age 30-40 living with him, and sons James & Hugh McGlaughlin are enumerated separately. This accounts for five of his sons, and if Robert died before the 1830 census he would not be here. Thus I think the Daniel McGlaughlin (Jr.) is actually the son of Daniel McGlaughlin, and that he is the one who married Mary Carpenter and went to Pocahontas County. I am also incluined to think that John and Daniel were brothers and were sons of John McGlaughlin Sr., especially since they both patented on the same date August 1, 1809.

I would be happy to get your thoughts on this and will share any documents, etc. that I have on this family.

Sheila"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
25 Nov 2005, Joan replied:

"Hi Shiela, nice to hear from you. I noticed you said you had an issue with Daniel who married Mary Carpenter? What was that? It piqued my interest.

Anyway, you covered a lot of ground in your email, so I'll let you know what I've pieced together and then you can tell me where you are with it. In Bath in the 1790s were a few McLaughlins. John #1 was fairly young, born in 1764. There were James and Hugh who I think were brothers. Hugh was born in about 1757. Then there was a younger Hugh born around 1767. Then there was Daniel (#1), whom you mentioned, born maybe around the same time, 1765 or so. I do not know who their parents were, except perhaps James and Hugh who may have been the sons of a Hugh McLaughlin that died about 1772 from Pendleton County. There was another James and an Edward, but I'm not sure about their relationship to the rest.

There is also a younger generation, siblings John (who is the John, Jr. you mentioned in the land records, and also my ggg-grandfather), William, Hugh, Nancy, and Jane/Jenny, from Bath. This whole group moved on to Pocahontas County, now in WV, in the 1820s or so. I do not know who their parents are, though I've been working on it for years.

Daniel #1 had a son named Jacob, who as far as I can tell was his only son. Jacob married a girl in Pocahontas County, and I can't think of her name off the top of my head, but he moved off at some point, to where I don't know. Daniel was married to Katherine "Ketty" Cleek, I don't have any idea where the Rebecca comes in at. John #1 was the father of Daniel #2, who married a Carpenter and moved on to Pocahontas. John #1's oldest daughter, Nancy, married Mary Carpenter's brother, John, moved to Pocahontas, too, and was my ggg-grandmother [Family Group Record here].

Let me know how this fits with your research and what else I can add. Hope I didn't miss any of your questions.

How is your husband descended from Daniel, by the way?

Joan M. Kay"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home