.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

McLaughlin's Valley

Love American History? Come On In! Dedicated to preserving the history of the McLaughlin family, wherever they may be! Historical documents, photos, family histories, and more. To add your family history to the site, email here. Please SEARCH this site from the search bar above left or BROWSE topics listed in sidebar.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Sorting It All Out #4

William McLaughlin, born abt 1807, Bath County, Virginia, moved to Braxton County, WV

26 Nov 2005, Kay writes:

"Dear Joan, I tried to reply to your posting on the Pocahantas website but for some reason it wouldn't bring up the window for me, so finally after 6 tries I decided to email you instead. I'm so excited, think you may have solved our dilemma about William. What we know is that he was born sometime between aprox 1807 and 1810 according to census records. One source says 1808 and says that he married Mary Jane Hall ( born 1827, daughter of Elijah Hall and Nancy Connolly Hall). Their children were born starting in 1853. Mary Jane may have been a second marriage for him, considering the age difference, but don't know. They were apparently married in Braxton Co (according to one source) and lived there, but we can't find a marriage record for them so far. Their children included 4 girls and 1 boy. The girls were listed as Almeda/ Alminda born 1853, Arrilla/Arvilla born 1855 (she is my great grandmother), Alevilda/Alwilda Jane (think she went by Jane) born July 13, 1858, and Edna born in 1862. The son is named James William McLaughlin and was born Sept. 14, 1865. We have been unable to find any descendants of any of these children. It took us a long time to track down Arrilla/Arvilla, but finally found her birth record, other info, also a deed that she and the other children signed apparently for William's property after his death. In the Elisha Hall book it said that Arrilla married a Robert Paintriff, but we finally established that the Arrilla McLaughlin who married Paintriff was a younger McLaughlin girl who was a neice to our Arrilla. Our Arrilla married George W. Hall, and we have been unable to establish if there is any connection between George W. Hall and Mary Jane Hall (wife of William McLaughlin). I believe from what I've found that they are two different lines of Halls (there are three lines in that area) but so far I've been unable to prove who William McLaughlin belongs to or who George W. Hall's father (Jonathan Hall) belongs to. All the info I had seemed to point to there being a connection between William and James McLaughlin. They lived not to far from each other, one named son William, other named son James, their wives had family ties, so on. Now can you take a look at this website link if you have time and see if this gives you any new info. It's the one that I'd been looking at. Doesn't show William at all, but lists two wives for John, and the children you mentioned plus others. Seems fairly well documented. If you are interested I can send you a picture of the deed for William that the children signed. It confirmed that his daughter married a Hall instead of Paintriff cause she signed her last name as Hall. I'd love to have a copy of the info you have mentioning William if you have a picture of it. This spring I got to go to WV and walked around on the property where William and Mary Jane lived. In the one census they lived next door to George and Arrilla and my grandfather was just a little guy in that census. My Uncle knew the general area that his Dad had lived in when he was young, but was tickled to know where the actual place was at. Mary Jane's brothers lived in the same area, so there was a section of several miles that was at one time part of the Hall families property. William and Mary Jane may have planted an orchard on their place, because there was an old orchard still there in the late forties. We think we have found were William is buried, but not positive, just seems likely that it is him because of where he lived and the connection with the Rose family whose cemetery he is in. He originally brought the property from Mr. Rose, and they were neighbors for many years. Well, better close, would love to have any info you can give me on the William you mentioned. Talk to you later, Kay"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

26 Nov 2005, Joan replies:

"Kay,

Hi! Good to hear from you. I sure do think we have found each other. I never knew where William went to. You mentioned James marrying Nottingham. Then you mentioned James living in close proximity to William. Was he married to Nottingham at that time? How did you trace them to Pocahontas? This is so exciting to me because I never knew what happened to them, and I kind of wrote them off. That's a shame, but I didn't know what else to do.

What I can do is this, send me your address, and I will copy what I have (or at least what I have that is coherent) and mail it to you. My scanner is down (and I just hate doing that anyway). I also have a website you might like to visit, though it doesn't have a whole lot right now on that John McLaughlin (William's likely father), but I have other things you might be interested in. I also recently had a novel published about the McLaughlin's, you might be interested in that, it includes John the father of William (only not until the very end). I am also working on another novel now about the nephews of William, Samuel Higgins (son of Nancy) and James McLaughlin (son of John) who went to the Civil War together. They are also two of my great-grandfathers.

My web address is www.mclaughlinsvalley.blogspot.com

Thanks!
Joan"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home